Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day2

So, this class has not gotten any easier, but it's a lot of fun and I think I'm learning a lot. I considered myself to be fairly competent as a painter, but there is so much new stuff here. New colors (yes it makes a difference), and working vertically on an easel instead of horizontally on my drawing table. That has been incredibly difficult, but I came for a challenge. I don't think I'm going to produce my masterpiece here, but I'll be able to apply Paul's techniques to the way I normally work and, with luck, create a nice hybrid.
Here is today's work:

It's still at the very beginning stages, but so far, no unrecoverable disasters. Looks pretty creepy without those irises, doesn't it?
And, if you are the type who wonders about such things (I am), Fishkill is named after a creek. It appears that in NY, a kill is a creek (or brook, or stream, or crick...). So Fishkill=Fishcreek. Easy.
Of course it lends itself to some amusing names. I saw the Fishkill Pool Center today. Paul told me that they considered opening an aquarium in Fishkill. What they might name it I cannot fathom...

No comments: