Sunday, November 2, 2008

Keene State Children's Literature Festival

Whoo-eeee.
Yesterday I spent the day with my good friend Julie (the star of my next book...) at the Keene State College Children's Literature Festival. I haven't been able to make it to the festival in a few years and it was inspiring, as always, to go back.

Dr. David White, the festival organizer, always gathers some great talent to talk about their work. This year Stephen Kellogg, Jerry Pinkney, as well as several other authors and illustrators gave great talks.

As an added bonus (for me) Dr. White paid me the honor of purchasing some of my artwork to hang in the festival's permanent collection.Is that super cool, or what? It's a great feeling to have my work hanging in the same collection as the work of some of my favorite illustrators of all time.

I also contributed an owl to the festival's owl collection. Mine is on the bottom right, waiting to frighten people getting a drink of water.



I have never really done much realistic animal artwork, so this owl was a challenge, but I was very happy with it. You can see a better picture of it here.

Next year, a couple of my friends, Beth Krommes and Lita Judge will be presenting, so I'll be in the front row heckling them mercilessly. Come join me. I'll save a seat for you.

No comments: