Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Save me from the glamour!



So, some people wind up being jealous of me because I don't have to get up and go to work every day. I'll admit; that is cool. Working for a living has many faces, however.
My life is not the unalloyed glamor that some people think it is.
Yesterday, for example, I was planning on installing a small area of hardwood floor in my library. We have a 200 year old farmhouse and every job has potential to be a thrilling spiral downward into disaster. When I pulled up a few boards to get down to the sub-floor, I found that the floor, the joists and part of the main beam supporting that part of the house were rotted and moldy.
Hooray!
So much for easy installation of flooring. Hello major structural renovation. At least the crawlspace beneath the room is cramped and dusty and dank.
I've posted a few pictures so you can share in the fascinating joy that being a writer can entail.
Remember these pictures the next time you are tempted to quit your job and become my competition...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Thrilling spiral downward into disaster".

Hey! That's the name we gave our 150 year old farmhouse!

Well, okay, not really, but it IS an adventure and the loan people at the bank know us by our first names.

Please don't mention the word "joist". I am still having nightmares.